Thursday, November 25, 2010

Luke - 7.7

Turkey Stuffer 5k, 16:07 (3rd)
Wasn't really sure what kind of shape I was in heading into the race. I hadn't done any speedwork but my mileage had been all right, so I figured I was strong but not fast. Based on that, I knew I could hold quite near my top speed for the whole distance, so I made my race strategy to go as fast as I could and just hold on.
The race was big and of course there were ten-year-olds and slow women right at the front of the line, so I started a row back and was boxed in for the first 100-200 meters. Race photos and video show that I was behind Zack for a bit. After I got free of the crowd I settled into a quick pace, then remembered my strategy and picked it up a bit. A guy Zack knows who runs in the mid- to high-15s, named Josh Gordon, had said on the start line that he would be going out fairly slow, at 5:15 pace. After a half a mile, he and two other guys were in front of me and there was a good-sized pack behind me. At the mile the guy in front was way in front, then a guy in white led Josh Gordon by a couple seconds, and I was 5-10 seconds back. My split was 5:13, so he was faster than expected. About a quarter mile later Josh moved into second place and I put in a strong move to move into third around halfway through the race. At the second mile I was still 5-10 seconds back, even though I came through at 5:11. I tried to catch up the entire third mile but lost a few seconds on him as I ran another 5:13. Around the last two turns (at about 2.75 and 2.95 miles) I looked back and saw a big group of guys behind me. Then as I was heading to the finish a spectator said, "He's catching you, relax and speed up" or something. I think he was lying, but it got me to move a little faster. Came through at 16:07 or maybe 16:09 for third place. Last year that time would have gotten me ninth place, so I was definitely higher up than I expected.
Checking out the results, it's crazy to me that my 16:20 from a few months ago would have only been good enough for maybe top ten...I'm lucky that my fitness improved just enough to put me at the front of that pack instead of at the end. I'm pretty happy that I finished as high as I did in such a deep race.

No comments:

Post a Comment