Thursday, November 25, 2010

Zack - 7 (5km in 17:39)

Turkey Stuffer 5k 17:39 PR (5:39, 5:44, 5:43, 30.9!) 23rd/661 (strong field!)

Woke at 630AM to a cold, sunny morning. Luke and I set off to Springfield and picked up our packets. Warmup was about 2 miles. Race temp was ~34F at the start. Wore my old Saucony A2 flats, singlet, shorts, gloves, and hat. Bolted off the start in a large pack, cruised the first mile in 5:39. Ran solo much of the second mile and passed a few runners despite slowing to a 5:44. Felt strong enough to keep pushing and battled with a 57 yr old man (who is was a sub 4 min miler in his day) and we were chasing another guy. Kicked past the older guy at 3 miles (5:43), couldn't pass the other guy and finished very strong in 30.9 for the last tenth. Clock read 17:37, but my watch had myself at 17:39 so that's what I am sticking with. I was very psyched with this 9 sec PR with absolutely no speed workouts! The higher mileage recently was the sole difference in training and results are already evident of the great benefits from simply running more.

No comments:

Post a Comment