Monday, February 27, 2012

James - 1.5

~14:00

My first outdoor run in 4 weeks. Went slow but I didn't swell up as much after.

In my math class the other day the teacher was talking about distance conversions and singled me out to say how many miles were in 5K. I tried to explain that I knew it was 3.1 because I was a runner and not because (as she believed) I was English. I would never know that information otherwise. And she knows its true because I had to tell her when I was injured and couldn't make it in to class. Math seems to come up a lot on this blog lately and not just because we post a lot of numbers.

3 comments:

  1. Math is the only universal language, my friend.

    That's pretty funny that your teacher assumed you knew the distance of 5K in miles. Doesn't England use miles also? So theoretically, you should be as clueless as the Americans in your class (setting aside your running prowess, of course). According to this snipped below, England does use miles still...

    http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question4465.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct Steve! That answer on that site sounds about right. KM is just for running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my first run from James's place in England when I got back I tried to convert my approximate mileage to approximate kilometerage for his dad before being informed that there was no need.

    ReplyDelete