Thursday, February 28, 2013

Luke - 6.75

Went to the Flyers workout again this week.  The workout was the classic dirty dozen, 3 sets of 4 400s.  Rest was 1 minute between reps and 3 minutes between sets.
Times: 79, 75, 77, 74 / 74, 74, 73, 73 / 75, 74, 73, 67.
Took me the first set to find the pace, then the rest of the workout was good.  Ran the first set with three others, then the other two sets just with Thomas.  The first rep of the last set I said I'd lead, and then I spaced out and realized about 150m in I was barely running fast at all, so I sped up and we came through the 200 about 3 seconds back of pace and had to really pick it up just to get to 75.  After that Thomas said he'd lead the last three...I don't blame him.  The last one I figured I'd give it just about all I had, so after Thomas took it through at a good clip for the first 150m I pulled up to a half-step in front of him, knowing that I'd probably end up in lane 2 going around the turn.  I did, and he re-passed me with 150 to go. I figured I'd gone too soon as I was sucking wind heading toward the straight, but I sped up my turnover and found another gear for the last 100m.  I passed him again and was going the fastest I've run in a long time, and in the last 10m or so I was stumbling, almost falling, forward.  Crazy feeling!  I know Thomas could have held me off if he'd wanted to but it was a lot of fun.  This week's workout felt so much better than last week's!
A couple more weeks of doing track workouts on Thursdays, and then March 21st is the Bring In Spring 5k that I've run the last three years, and I'd like to be near 16 for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment