Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Luke - 13.5


13.5mi, 1:50:56 (8:13)
Ran to Relentless Hills and tried to take the trail that would get me to the bottom of the back side of The Wall the fastest.  I haven't run on this particular section of trail in a while, and for a while I was running through the brush a bit because the trail was quite overgrown.  A couple times I had to do some trickier navigation to make my way around or over trees that had fallen on the path (probably during that storm a few months ago that took a bunch of trees out).  At one point I got to what was pretty much a dead end, because a tree with lots of branches was across the path, and there were lots and lots of thorny bushes on either side.  I tried to bend branches back and move as much of the tree as I could, but it wasn't really happening.  I really didn't want to turn around and go back the way I came, so I worked at the tree for a while, and finally was able to make it through a tiny hole in all the mess.  I was just about crawling, but trying to avoid as much of the thorniness as possible.  After finally making it to my intended destination, I headed out to 30th Avenue and crossed it and headed for Lane Community College.  Once there I headed up to the trails under the power lines that I'd found about a month ago and tried to see how far I could go on them.  They were some pretty fun trails with a lot of up and down; early on there were some very short crazy-steep sections that I had to use my hands to climb up.  There were some dirt bikers riding around when I got to the trail intersection here.  I was heading South and there was a cool-looking hill in front of me, but I came to a fence when I tried to go that way.  Came back to the intersection and headed West (side-note, I definitely want to head East from this intersection sometime, because I think the trails will keep going for at least a few more miles), then saw another trail heading South, so I tried to take that one, but it ended up running into the same fence.  I ended up just following the fence to the West as the trail kinda faded away and I was just high-stepping through fields and bushes.  I ended up getting to someone's back yard, but they had barbed wire around it so I then followed their fence North, just trying to get out of there, again not wanting to head back the way I came.  After navigating some more thorny bushes, I got to their gate, but the fence kept going so I ended up just hopping the barbed-wire fence anyway.  At that point I was finally back on a road, but I didn't know where I was at all.  I came to a slightly more main road and it said the one I was on was Marci Lane, but there was no sign for the current road.  I picked a direction and headed up, and then saw a mailbox that said I was on Hidden Meadows Drive, which sounded familiar.  As I headed up the road I finally realized where I was...it's the road I've gone down a few times that's a really steep hilly loop off of Dillard Road.  Where it meets Dillard is at the Ridgeline trail.  I could have headed up Dillard and gotten on Ridgeline the normal way to get back home, but I had read they were going to put a trail from where I was straight to the bottom of the Fox Hollow trail, and I thought there was some sort of path already in place there so I set about finding it.  I headed onto a rocky road under some power lines and could see a trail stretching out below me, and I thought it was just going to be this boring road with big rocks that are no fun to run on...but about a quarter mile in I spotted a smaller trail heading into the woods, so I took that instead.  Once in the woods the trail split all over the place, so I explored all the trails I could.  One of them took me back up to right near the beginning of that road, so I barely have to deal with the big rocks at all.  A lot of the trails ended up in people's back yards, but the main trail, which was a lot of fun, ended up where I was hoping it would, at the end of a trail that goes about a quarter-mile, to the Fox Hollow trail.  Another Eugene trail I don't know how I missed for so many years.  It's pretty decent quality except for the last quarter-mile or so was a bit overgrown...I think they're gonna Ridgeline-ize it sometime in the next year so that it will all be nice and even.
Headed back home on Rexius, and did three (3) pullups.  The 13.5-mile label is obviously an estimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment