Saturday, June 29, 2013

Steve - 1.5

So I was supposed to run in an 4x800 at a USATF sanctioned event. It was about 100 degrees in Pasadena where the event was taking place. When I showed up at the race, the open 800m was about to start. One of the guys that I was running the relay with was running late so the other guys said I should run as him. So as the 800m was starting for the women I did one warmup lap and a few quick drills and got my (his) number. I didn't want to injure myself so I figured I'd just cruise it. There was probably about 15 people running it.

The gun went off and I slid into the back of the pack. It was an diverse (by age) field so there was some obvious fast and slow people. Through 200 I was in last place behind an older guy. I accelerated a bit going around the curve and passed the old guy on the straightaway. From a distance I saw the clock was 1:1x so I knew it was really slow. Hit 400m in 1:23 so I decided I at least wanted to run a solid second lap. I picked it up some and started closing the gap on a few runners in front of me. Without hitting my top gear though, I wasn't able to really catch anyone. Once I hit 600, I slowly ratcheted up the effort to a comfortably hard pace and nearly caught two other guys as we finished. Second lap in 1:17, so total time of 2:40. Not bad for a warmup and being 100 degrees.

So about 20 minutes later we realize there were no other entrants for the 4x800m. We've already signed up so it's going to be a race against ourselves. The other guys say we should run 4x400m because it's so hot and it turns out there also are no other entrants in the 4x400m. So I want to run the 4x800 and no one else does, therefore I'm overruled. Well, we decide the order and I'm running second. Our leadoff man, who is the fastest, clocks a 57. I get the baton and I take off, almost as fast as I can for the first 100m. That's generally the best way to run a 400m. I'm not looking at my watch at all. You can't during a 400m. I sail into the straightaway and coast a bit, waiting to throw my max effort for the curve. I get to the curve feeling pretty good and accelerate with the burst I have left. When I get to the straightaway I see the clock from a distance and it says 1:4x, so I know I'm in range of 60 second 400. I hand off the stick and the clock is a few ticks under 2:00. I had wanted to run a sub 60 but I didn't quite there, instead running a 61. I figure it's pretty good considering the heat and running solo. Our other legs finish solidly and we hit a time of 4:10.

800m in 2:40
400m in 61


4 comments: