Saturday, July 30, 2011

Luke - 7

Bowerman Athletic Club 5k, 15:43 (24th).
Splits of 4:58, 5:06, 5:12, and :26. Great course--a gradual loop with no turns, and then even the one turn at 500m to the finish was not sharp or anything. Plenty of competition--in the 100 seconds between me and Zack there were 50 other finishers.
During the awards they were giving away coupons for a free pair of Nike shoes...Matt Tegenkamp, Dathan Ritzenhein, Amy Yoder-Begley, and Dan Lincoln were calling out bib numbers, and people started holding theirs up to try and get them to call their number. I meekly held mine up a little and Teg spotted me and said my number! I trotted up to the stage and got the coupon and shook his hand, and told the four of them up there that they were awesome and that I am a fan. The coupon is to Road Runner Sports and is up to $120, so I figured I would get a pair of the Lunarspider that I want but which retails for $125, but I called the place and they didn't have any in-store, so I'm gonna wait until next time I go up to Portland and try to get them then.
Great weekend, I'm very happy to now be a 15:xx guy.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a lot of fun! That's really cool you got to shake hands and say a quick word to such accomplished athletes. Congrats again on the PR - you are getting damn fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to update your 5k PR on the blog here - and it sounds like Zack PR'ed too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By 17 seconds! Well done Luke! Smashed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Updated my PR...the official results have me at 15:44, and it was chip-timed, so I should probably go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to start posting again, but yeah Chris I PR'd too with a 17:24 (5:36)! 14 sec PR. Closing in on sub 17.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the PR gents. Luke welcome to the sub 16 club. Zach good luck getting to sub 17. My original goal this year pre-injury was sub 18. I'll now just shoot for a pain free sub 20. I'll join you gents soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking about running in a 5k on the 13th. Does anyone have an idea what time I should be shooting for given my weekly mileage and half marathon time? I'm thinking around 18:30 or so...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea, Chris. Go out fast and try to hang on? Remember that right now your endurance is really good, so you shouldn't be holding back as much as you normally might, because you'll be able to hold your fast speed for longer. That was my train of thought going into this race...I did end up positive splitting, but I wouldn't have wanted to go out much slower (and I was picking people off the last two miles).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha alright. Yeah that sounds like a good way to attack it. That's interesting to hear that you were still picking people off even though you started out fast.

    ReplyDelete