Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Luke - 8.75

23' w/u, 1 Mile @ 5:03, 5mi c/d.

Zack wanted to do a Mile time trial, so we went to the track and brought along racing shoes. Zack wore my Nike Zoom Streak XC 2s--his first time in flats--and I wore my new Matumbos that I got for free by finally redeeming the coupon I got at that 5k back in July. I hadn't worn spikes in a long time so it was kinda weird but they felt fast. After warming up (two loops on Amazon) and changing shoes we did a couple strides and then just got to it. I wanted to take it out in 74 and then hit 75s the rest of the way so Zack would have splits of 74, 2:29, 3:44, and 4:59. At each lap I shouted out the split for him so he wouldn't have to deal with his watch. First lap was a bit fast, 72, but we both felt good so it wasn't too bad. I definitely overcompensated on the second lap though and ran a 79...just a mental error on my part. Third lap was I think a 77, which is pretty good for the hardest lap of a mile race, and left Zack needing a 72 final lap to break 5. I sped up and he tried pretty hard to follow me. I was shouting encouraging things at him for the last 150m or so but he couldn't quite find that next gear, so he came through with a 76, for a 5:04. Still a 14-second PR (!) but he was a bit disappointed he wasn't under 5. It was especially good under the conditions (a bit cold, dark, only us two out there), and a couple seconds of blame can be put on my bad pacing on the second lap. We both sorta wished we had a do-over. We did a long cool down on Rexius to get a few extra miles in...always good.


1 comment:

  1. Missed this post til now. Don't worry Zack I'm sure you will get that elusive sub 5 mile soon enough!

    ReplyDelete