Friday, October 14, 2011

Luke - 8

8mi, 56:41 (7:05)
Zack's girlfriend picked us up at PDX and we went to dinner at an Irish Pub called County Cork. They were out of like five beers on their taplist, but the food was good and filling. I got dropped off at my friend Patrick's house and talked with him and his wife about my trip and stuff before going to bed. I woke up kinda early, I guess from jetlag, but was able to go back to bed for another hour or two. Zack picked me up a little after 11 and we drove to Forest Park. We took Zack's girlfriend's dog Matilda. We stayed on the Leif Erikson Trail, which is the main path, more well-maintained than the fun little offshoots of single-track, and also more gradual of uphill. There are quarter-mile markers, so we turned around at four miles (31:18). We sped up a bit on the way back, and then at a mile to go I picked it up even more. Zack stayed back to give Matilda a break, but we kept on talking as I pulled away and Zack said something about Matilda being able to beat me and I said "Suuuuuure" sarcastically even though of course she could, she's a dog...so Zack told her to catch me. I of course sped up and tried to race the dog; she stayed right behind me or even with me the whole time so I of course told Zack that she wasn't quite strong enough to pass me. My last mile was 5:03; my first quarter I was still accelerating so it was 80, then I went 75, 77, 74. That doesn't quite add up to 5:03 so I don't know exactly my splits or time. Anyway it was a nice downhill so it was faster than normal and also a lot of fun. Zack was maybe a minute behind, a nice little 6-minute mile at the end of an 8-miler. Also at the end of a great vacation.

THE END

4 comments:

  1. I published all my runs from the past two weeks. Start here then go forward and you can get the whole vacation story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be reading them all with gusto as soon as I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you took the time to make all those posts buddy, sounds like it was an amazing trip! Glad you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you got back home, went to a pub named after an Irish county, ran on a trail named after the Scandinavian who "found" the Americas before Columbus, and went with a dog whose name is best known as that of an English childrens novel? Delightful.

    Sorry for commenting on every posting and shitting in everybodies inbox. I tried not to.

    Glad you had such fun and hope you're both settling back in okay!

    ReplyDelete