Saturday, May 1, 2010

Luke - 6.5

5k race!

This is the race I did last year, so my goals were to beat the pancake and to run faster than last year's time of 16:54. It wasn't all that eventful of a race, so I won't go into a long recap. Basically I was aiming for splits of 5:20, 5:10, and 5:20, since the first mile has a big hill in it and I tend to do better when I go out hard and hang on...my splits ended up being 5:17, 5:15, and 5:47 for the last 1.1 (which is 5:15 pace). So better than I'd planned, overall, and my time was 16:20, only one second off a PR that was set on a course without a hill. I think my time would be worth about 16:05 for a 5k on a track, so I'll be looking to break into the 15s next 5k I do. Exciting! I don't know when I'll be doing a 5k next though; I might do the Ridgeline Ramble (trail 20k race/10k+10k relay) at the end of the month, but other than that I'm just looking to, as always, get my mileage up, maybe peaking for a race in the fall.
Oh and I beat the pancake (by 1:26), so free pancakes for a year!

7 comments:

  1. so you actually got your full allotment of pancakes this time?...any video?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They actually didn't bring enough again this year...13 people beat the pancake, so each one of us got one 7-pound package of mix and we were promised the rest of our year's supply in the mail.
    I don't think there was any video taken this year, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading that entry last year was one of my favourite somerunning moments. This one made me smile too.

    They need to get a faster pancake runner! Hey, maybe you should apply...

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fast do you think you could run in that pancake outfit? I bet it adds a least a minute to one's time. From the video last year, it looked the pancake couldn't really swing his arms that much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. did the pancake's time improve from last year? or has that chubby little guy peaked?..

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was about 15 seconds slower than last year. I was thinking about asking them next year if they want me to be the pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you planning do the pancake run this year?

    ReplyDelete