Thursday, June 16, 2011

James - 2

18:18

It's been over 3 weeks, due to various setbacks and then the last week and a half I was preparing for/at the Bonnaroo Festival in Manchester (hah), Tennessee. I got a surprise last-minute slot as a volunteer for Mountain Justice, who campaign against mountaintop removal coal mining in the Appalachian mountains. I was excited to be fighting coal, climate change and resource extraction, again. I did a whoooooole lot of walking (and running carrying drinks, which I spilled all over myself).

Anyway, I came back a little worse for wear from all the dust and heat and extreme lack of sleep and all the rest of it, so I was pretty happy with this run. Detox begins now. The illness made time go faster, which helped in a scary way.

In all the excitement I forgot to mention that I got new shoes. My old Nikes that I bought from a friend about 3 years ago (I'm not even sure, Luke, did I have them in April 2008?) have been a hazard for a long time, with Chris being the most recent one of you who doesn't live with me to witness. I got New Balance shoes from Marshalls, who sell things that are somehow defective or old brands or similar. Here they are. Someone asked me if they were the new air-filled ones at college the other week and that started a nice conversation. They are trend-free, sweatshop-free and consumer-demand free (because they won't encourage NB to make more, being old and untrendy). They say they're for trail running, but be honest: how are they for running?

2 comments:

  1. They should be fine for running...do they feel good on your feet? That's pretty much all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they seem fine so far. Just nothing special.

    ReplyDelete