Thursday, June 9, 2011

Luke - 11

Ran from Zack's lab to Dorris Ranch Park in Springfield, where there was a low-key 5k going on. Was just going to have fun with it, maybe go 6-minute pace or so, but once I got going I got into race mode and had to go hard. First mile felt pretty good, second mile I hoped I wouldn't die in the third mile, and third mile I died. Splits were 5:18, 5:36, and 6:05, but the course did get progressively harder. The last .1 was 53 seconds, so it was definitely longer than .1. Oh I ended up getting second, to Josh Gordon. I was with him for the first 2 miles and then he started putting distance on me and the gap just kept getting bigger. He ended up winning by 30 seconds.
After the race we hung out a bit and talked with Josh and Renee, and listened to Lauren Fleshman try to sell Picky Bars to everyone. We ran home a bit longer of a way and it was really tough, after 7 miles of running with 5k of it hard, and especially after the 30-45 minutes of standing around post-race, too. When we finally got back we were rewarded with some local organic chocolate milk that the wife of one of Zack's labmates had dropped off. Long long day for me.

4 comments:

  1. Dude you buried the lede. How many picky bars did you buy from your girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lede?
    I bought no bars, because I am cheap.
    I figured you would comment on the fact that "my" girl was there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course man. You left the door open. Now that I can't needle Chris anymore about his girl, it's your turn.

    Yeh man, its journalism 101. The biggest part of the story has to be in the first sentence. When did your girl go from olympic hopeful to working the advertiser booths at local 5ks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I've never seen that word before...never took Journalism.
    Oregon Track Club puts on a 5k the second Tuesday of each month, with a guest speaker afterwards...this month's guest speaker was Oregon Track Club Elite athlete Lauren Fleshman, who talked about recovery--in addition to trying to sell her energy bars that she invented or whatever, she talked about things you can do to recover and demonstrated with The Stick, a lacrosse ball, etc.

    ReplyDelete