Friday, November 25, 2011

James - 2.4

~24:00

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all had a good one.

Rather than what you might expect from me on Black Friday, here's a feel-good story about an animal loving runner.
Jogger Saves Cat in Rainy Park, Carries Him One Mile in Her Coat

In November of 2006, I went for a run through a nearby local park. It was a bitterly cold and rainy day; the winds were harsh and felt like they were going right through me. Running through the park wasn’t initially part of my planned route that day, but due to the weather, I thought it would be best to run in an area closer to home.

As I ran through a wooded part of the park, I happened to glance to my left. If I hadn’t looked in that direction at that moment in time, I would have missed him entirely. There he was, a small brown tabby cat, huddled up in a ball; he wasn’t even attempting to find shelter from the elements. As I slowed to a walk and moved toward the cat, I saw what was next to him: a handful of crackers and a half-filled paper cup of water. He had no identification on him, simply a cheap blue flea collar around his neck. He was very calm as I approached him and did not exhibit any signs of being feral. By all appearances, he had been dumped in that park. As he looked up at me with his big, caramel-colored eyes, I realized I couldn’t just leave him there. And as the rain started to come down even harder, I made the decision to bring him back home.
P.S. I did get a treat when doing my post-run stretches. Some kids on bikes crossed the road that intersects with the trail, getting a big honk from an SUV. They shouted a mighty "Fuck off!" That cheered me up. Let us be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment