Saturday, November 12, 2011

Steve - 5.1

41:23 (8:07)

Only one decimal point. Eat your heart out Luke. This was one of my typical Saturday runs where I watch the first quarter of the Michigan game, pause it, and then go run. I always want just a little taste of the game before I run. It was a good run made better by the fact that they dominated Illinois. I heard this Illinois war chant like 40 times during the game and I kind of got addicted to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJp1uB1RvlY&feature=feedlik

One of the many reasons the college football experience is better than the NFL experience are the bands. Most colleges have a war chant, not just the ones that have names related to American Indians. For instance, Michigan has this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VERrETp-beQ

This post may inspire some criticism from James about exploitation of American Indians, of which I am also cognizant of. On the scale of offensive nicknames, the Fighting Ilini are 1 out of 10. A 10 of course is the Washington Redskins (Can you imagine a team being called the Los Angeles Blackskins or the New York Whiteskins or Seattle Yellowskins?). The logo for the Cleveland Indians would also rank as a 10 out of 10.

Can anyone guess what Stanford's team name used to be before changing to the Stanford Cardinal? (yes, cardinal, as in the color)

Sorry if no one else found any of this interesting..

1 comment:

  1. "This post may inspire some criticism from James about exploitation of American Indians"

    And bless you for mentioning it before me, haha. Hey, even some groups that consider themselves radical or anarchist don't see the problem with using war cries to pump themselves up before an action, so I'll try not to be a snob about the sport. Right now Alison is helping me with a paper on representations of tribal people in films (or more accurately, I am assisting her). Hooray last minute work. I ran just to get a break from the stress of it today.

    ReplyDelete