Saturday, May 9, 2009

Chris - 4

Man I forgot how fun races are! I'm not sure if I should've run yesterday, my legs didn't feel very fresh at all this morning, but what else is new. I tried to warm up and stretch my legs as much as possible without exerting myself too much before the race. After reading about Steve getting stuck behind all of those people, I really made sure to get in the very front for the start. There were a few kids and people that didn't look very fast that lined up at the front, and also a sprinkling of running club looking guys with matching running jerseys on, so I figured they'd beat me pretty easy. The start felt pretty quick, which was fine I expected that. Although when I passed the first mile marker at 6:02 I was pretty surprised! I also became slightly concerned because the next mile has a few little hills and downslopes...and since my legs weren't feeling as springy as usual I had to really push myself. About 4 guys probably passed me up to that point, which isn't surprising considering my ridiculous start but still was a little knock on the confidence since I was struggling a little. Came through the second mile marker at 7:04...which kinda pissed me off, but the hills were done with and I think I picked up more speed on the switchback since ya know, you want to look good to all of the people that you're ahead of! Then for the last mile they had a few volunteers cheering us on which always helps - and then one of the last volunteers said it's all downhill from here so I tried to pick it up some....then I could hear a few people behind me and this guy comes up on my left pretty quick and goes "c'mon I can't do it by myself!" and puts out his hand so I gave him five and tried to fall in behind. I stayed with him for maybe a block but he was really pouring it on to the end so I just tried to stride out and when I hit the 3rd mile marker at 6:48 I didn't have enough to sprint but I really strided out and pushed through the finish, happy to hear my correct name called (see: my name being called for Sam Callero in the Eugene Marathon 5k), but even happier to see that I finished the last .1 in 29 seconds for a total time of 20:25 (official posting was 20:24)!! Oh man I was pumped but since I raced by myself I didn't have anyone to high five haha. But that's okay I was pretty tired after I crossed the finish line and had to wait a bit before I drank some water and had an orange slice. Then I drove home quite elated and ran a short cooldown up the street and back. Now I can't wait for my next race!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome man!

    Probably should have gone out a little slower, but you can work on that later. Glad you ran such a good time, it'll give Steve something to shoot for. You guys seem to be pretty evenly matched, just as I'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Chris. Nothing like some friendly competition to keep us motivated. You must have really had to push to keep that last mile under 7 after blowing your load on the first one. If you run 6:30-6:40 to open next time, you can probably run under 20 I bet. That's what I'm shooting for in my next race on Memorial Day. So you have at least weeks of bragging rights...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks, sounds good to me! Hey question all of you...the official posted time was 20:24, but I had 20:25 on my watch - do I use the official time instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 20:24. you probably started your watch late and stopped it late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I am a doofus for saying good luck on your previous entry for a race you'd already done! High 5!

    ReplyDelete