Monday, May 11, 2009

James - 6.2

44:57

51 seconds slower than the other day for the same distance. I know not to be worried. Physically I could tell today wasn't going to be so easy. But I kept thinking "this could be race day," so dealt with everything - stitches, phlegm, pain, and the fact that the canal was more like a wind tunnel than ever. I felt like I was barely moving despite trying to run fast towards the end. I remembered the logic of aiming to the area behind your target when you throw a punch - aim for behind the finish line so you don't instinctively slow down before you get there.

I assumed I was going to be a few minutes slower, so it wasn't too bad. I may have been helped by the fact that I got a haircut yesterday. 14 months growth, so I went from nearly this to this. Purely in terms of hair, you understand. I bet we can outrun Statham.

Here is my plan for the week. Is it good? I wonder if it is too much running.

Tuesday: Work.
Wednesday: Speed running, with the fast and slow parts. Try wearing shorts (I normally wear full lengths).
Thursday: 10K practice run. Shorts.
Friday: Work.
Saturday: Small run to stay loose, maybe 2 or 3 miles. I can't run two days before the race due to work so this will have to do.
Sunday: Race.

Also, have you fine people any advice on what to eat/drink/do so as not to get too much spit and gross stuff like that? It was out in force this afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. You never had a mullet! You looked like Barry Gibb not Pate Sharpe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty great that you can run under your goal time for a training run, in trousers, when you feel lousy.

    As far as your week plan goes, I'd say cut the Thursday run a bit shorter, maybe 4-5 miles pretty easy. The super-short super-easy run the day before the race is a good idea.

    I don't really know how to get rid of phlegm. My guess would be drink more water.

    I think it's funny that you specify your legwear in your running plans.

    Did you notice I didn't say "pants" earlier? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison - I did say nearly! Sorry though I forgot about your mulletphobia.

    Luke - Yessir I shall take your advice and cut down the Thursday run. As for the kecks, trollies, pants or trousers versus shorts - I am checking every variable! Serious research, so I say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. is the race you're doing part of the same event Usain Bolt is running the 150 meters in?

    ReplyDelete