Sunday, May 3, 2009

Steve - 8

I never manage to secure a good spot in the front of the pack at the start of a race. For bigger races, I always get stuck behind a huge group of people. Since I like doing a bunch of drills and stuff right before the start of the race, I always meander to the start right before the gun so I can be loose. But I played it a little too close this morning and my first 1/4 mile suffered immensely. I had to zig and zag through a huge group of kids and portly slow-moving adults and it cost me precious seconds. When I finally hit the first mile marker, my watch showed 7:14. Even with the slow start, I just didn't push the pace enough. My goal going in was 20:30. That is 6:39 per mile. So clearly I had a lot of work to do to even get under 21 minutes. Well I just decided to go for it anyway. I didn't wear the Nike Plus today, so I was just running by feel. I surged past all the people who ran the first mile too fast and continued to pass people for the next 2 miles. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, the race crew managed to botch the 2nd and 3rd mile markers. I never even saw them. Apparently they were on the ground. What a great place for the 2000 people running in the race to see them!(Some people I talked to after the race didn't see them either). Anyway, it could be a good thing(during the race) so I wouldn't be overanalyzing my mile splits too much. It's just better to run sometimes. Well, once I hit the turnaround with roughly .5 miles left, I went into another gear. I took it up another notch and hammered it all the way home. The legs responded well and when I hit the mat the clock said 21:14(6:50 per/mile), which means I averaged 6:35min/pace in the final 2.125 miles. Despite not reaching my time goal, I felt pretty good knowing I ran the last two miles at close to a 20 flat 5k pace. And afterwards I still felt strong. I then knocked out about 4 miles of cooldown to complete the day. Next up is the L.A. Marathon 5k on May 25. I should be ready to run a sub 20 5k by that time...

3 comments:

  1. Not bad, dodging slow people slows you down a bunch and also leaves you tired.

    I usually just do my drills and strides on the first 100m of the course, and then walk back to the front of the group when it's about time to go. If you're going to finish in the top 50 you shouldn't feel bad about going in front of people that got there first.

    Funny that you're doing a "[city] Marathon 5k" also...it's an odd name, especially if you translate it to numbers...The Los Angeles 26.2-mile 3.1-mile Race.

    You'd think for a 2000-person race they'd be well-organized enough to have proper mile markers and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree, I thought the same thing for the Race for The Cure 5k that Curt and I did last summer. I'm pretty sure they had the first mile marker up too far, and I never saw the next two markers...I don't get why it's that hard. Sounds like a pretty good race except for the meandering start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good recovery action! You will be ready for May 25th!

    ReplyDelete