Sunday, May 31, 2009

Steve - 11

My longest run ever! 11 miles in 97 minutes (8:49). First half was in about 9:30 pace. Second half was in about 8:30 until I blazed the last mile in 7:34! Great run. Perhaps my best ever. Didn't need to push at all to keep that pace for the second half. Last mile of course I did some but still felt good at the end. I'm pumped because I decided I'm going to honor my 26th year on earth by running one mile for each year + .2 miles. If you'll note, this is equivalent to the distance of a marathon. There are a few marathons in San Diego, Long Beach, Big Sur, and others that I am looking at in the fall and winter. I will run a half first of course perhaps in August, but will start formulating a plan pretty soon. Anyone else in?...

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great birthday plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh happy birthday, one day belated. I think the marathon is a good idea! My cousin ran his first marathon yesterday a couple weeks after getting back from Iraq. His time was 3:47 I think. Also my sister did her first a month or two ago, in like 5:30.
    You should give yourself about three months of actual marathon training before the race, even though you're already running consistently...so since your 5k is in July, you should plan on something at the end of October at the earliest. Perhaps when you're here I can help you work out a schedule.


    And this would be a good time for any of the rest of you to also plan for your first marathon! Think about it for the next couple months, and if you decide to do it, I can help you with a schedule, and you'll be extra-motivated because you'd be training "with" Steve (and that would help him, too). I am confident that any of you can do it if you try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very belated happy birthday, runnerSteve!

    ReplyDelete