Tuesday, May 5, 2009

James - 5.7

47:35

It rained on me like a storm today. So back to the road route. I had to stop for about 30 seconds at 29 minutes to cross a road, which was annoying.

9.2K. Hmmm.

While I am pleased with the distances I'm getting and am seeing a little improvement in times, I lately feel like I'm far from my potential. On these runs I start to feel fucked about 3 minutes in and it never really goes away, both in my calves and torso. So I can barely concentrate on going faster, just surviving. There does come a point where you've done most of the run and it almost becomes robotic, but that's as good as it gets. Then really close to the end I find I have the energy to almost sprint and am finishing not feeling dead, which makes me think I am not pushing myself hard enough.

Have any of you any advice on how I can reverse this, to feel dead at the end instead? And sore calf advice maybe. Thanks.

7 comments:

  1. I think that's actually a good sign that you feel better as the run progresses. You typically don't want to feel dead at the end of the run. What I usually do is start really slow and easy and then run each mile a little faster and then close really strong. I'm sure you getting a lot of benefit out of all that mileage you have been doing lately. It will do you a lot of good in your next race when you run at higher intensity for a longer period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're feeling good at the end of your runs, that's a good sign you could do more if you needed to. Maybe start running a day or two more per week.
    If your schedule keeps you from running more, run faster instead. Try running two minutes fast, two minutes slow (fartlek) or warming up for 10 minutes then doing 20 minutes at a faster clip, then cooling down 10 minutes (tempo). Of course you can modify these workouts as desired.
    You can also do speedwork if you feel so motivated. Jump the tram to Sale and get on the track for some interval work.
    Steve's definitely right about the mileage benefiting you and feeling better later in the run being good. For a small change, I think fartleks would be the way to go. Try it out one day and let us know how it feels.

    As far as the calves go, ice them a bit after runs when they feel sore, and make sure you're wearing proper shoes, that's about all I got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you for the kind words and advice. You must be right about it being good that I dont feel dead at the end, silly me.

    Luke, that thing about the tram tracks made me laugh. The canal path has been blocked by some sort of work at Sale actually so I have been running to there and then running back the other direction.

    I will perhaps try some of the run ideas you suggested before the 10K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James - I actually mean the track that I used to run on with the Sale Harriers...I can see now how you could take that the wrong way though...that'd be a hell of a speed workout trying to dodge the trams!

    Alison - fartlek is a Swedish word meaning "speed play"...it's what I described earlier, running an amount of time fast then an amount of time slow...basically playing with your speed. It serves the same purpose as a tempo run, which is to build your strength. (To be a good runner you want speed, strength, and endurance.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahahaha of course Luke. Silly me, shows I've hardly ever used a running track, don't even notice the terminology. It is nice to go on the tram lately (sans ticket of course) and as we go alongside the canal to Sale, with the scenery blurring past, I can think "I run all of that. And then back. And then more!"

    Steve - next Sunday, a week today!

    ReplyDelete