Monday, May 23, 2011

James - 3.1

27:15

"A sobering assessment of a society that drives to the gym to get exercise." - Wall Street Journal

I have a few great stories to accompany my excitingly fast 5K.

The above quote is the single review on the back of a book called Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology. The book is about living without modern technology. I haven't yet read it, but I found it in the thrift store next to our gym. Had I not been walking to the gym from school I never would have seen the quote, which I find funny/amazing.

After leaving the gym (I enjoyed it at that time of day, and hope to do it more), I decided to try and find a shortcut home. I don't think I found one, but the field that I walked through blew my mind. It had trees, water, nature, ducks (go ducks) and all that, which is great. It also has an abandoned tennis court and what appears to be an abandoned office or something (there were a few cars, but it looked pretty abandoned anyway). How could such a nice spot have existed in walking distance of my home without me knowing it until now? The mindset that I'd just gotten about the power of the feet gave me all these ideas for the area, largely involving camping. Festivals? Protests? Simple personal camping? Something exercise-based? Anyway, it proves again that you get a lot more from life when you get off the treadmill (literal or figurative) and go out on foot.

2 comments: