Sunday, May 8, 2011

Luke - 8

Re-Run Run 1-Mile: 4:55, 1st place.

The race started at 9, but packet pickup was from 7am-7:45 because the 5k portion of the event started at 8. That meant my schedule before the race was: wake up Saturday morning and laze about, walk 3mi to work at 6pm on Saturday, work 7pm-7am, run 3mi from work to the race, pick up my packet at 7:40am, sit around in the cold for a half hour, then go for a second warmup. So pretty much an ideal schedule! Anyway there were like a dozen people in the race because most people were doing the 5k. Zack showed up (a couple miles into his run) just before the race started so I was able to give him my warmup clothes to hold.
Not much to recap on the race since it was only a mile long. Started fast, tried to keep going fast. No one else was close; one kid was like 45 seconds back. It had rained intermittently throughout the night, so even though it wasn't raining during the race the ground was still a bit slick. There were a couple tight corners that I had to really try to dig in on. As I was coming around the last few turns the announcer was doing a good job of getting the crowd into it, telling them that I might break five, which would be really fast. So I got a good applause for the final kick. The clock said 4:53 or 4:54 when I crossed; my watch said 4:55.51, and in the results I got a 4:58. Anyway, doesn't really matter since it's not a PR.
The t-shirts for the event were race shirts from other races all over the country and the awards were medals from a bunch of different races, which I thought was a pretty cool idea. I ended up getting a Eugene Marathon shirt, which, given the selection, I thought was pretty lame. At the finish I got a medal from the Gasparilla Distance Classic (much cooler) and then at the awards ceremony I got a medal from the Catalina Eco-Marathon (very cool). The random prizes were pretty good, including three gift certificates for a free pair of Brooks running shoes, but I didn't win anything.
Ran home to cool down, and about a mile in Zack came up behind me on the end of his run, so I joined him...it was a lot better to go his quickish pace than the plodding I had been doing.
Got home and had to wait around for the landlord to come by and look at a thing, so I finally got to sleep at about noon, for the first time in close to thirty hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment