Sunday, September 6, 2009

James - 6.2

46:10 - A personal best! Just barely.
r603/~8000!

I did not sleep or eat well before this race. I'm not sure why but I kept waking up all night in the hotel bed. Then, after letting me keep my planned breakfast in the fridge over night, the hotel told me they couldn't heat it up in the microwave because of health and safety (contrary to what I was told the night before). So, I ate some sandwiches and things that were meant for after the race.

I could instantly tell the lack of sleep was going to hurt me. Quickly realising I wasn't going to get under 42 minutes, I aimed for my goal from May of under 45 minutes. Towards the end that floated away, so I aimed for a PB and just about got it. Most of the course was flat, but the first K was downhill, winding and very narrow. The end was uphill and that was a fucking bastard. Ow!

It was a simple course with a turnaround. I saw my dad on the other side, who was running behind me. He got a time of 1hr 38 seconds, much better than our last 10K, which is good considering he woke up with such a bad back he could barely stand up. My leg was sore before and has been since but it was fine during the run.

We then went for a pint before coming home and I crashed out for 4 hours.

Overall I am not as disappointed as I would have thought. In more favourable conditions I could have done much better. Here are the geek stats:

Race number: 1592 (I wrote Death to sweatshops! next to the nike swoosh)
Age Group Position: 368
Gender Position: 561
Age Group and Gender Position: 340
3k: 13:19
5k: 22:40
7k: 31:50

The timing chip was a weird one that you tied into your shoelaces.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was a fun race at least. I don't usually sleep very soundly before races either, usually due to excitement. Good job on the new PR, even if it wasn't what you had hoped. I laughed when I read you wrote 'death to sweatshops' on your race bib! That's pretty funny. Also interesting they marked off the kilometers instead of miles, I wouldn't have thought of that - but obviously it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete