Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chris - 6.2

This is the second big 10k race that I've done. I didn't get enough sleep on Friday night and only about 7 on Saturday night, so I might've been a tad sleep deprived the day of the race. Race started at 8am so I had to get up about 6am. We had to park down from The Old Spaghetti Factory and then ride a bus across the river to the start at the Adidas Headquarters. Here's a map of the course that I made on mapmyrun. It's a pretty fast route that we took. My bus got there around 7:40 so I went for a warmup run and stretched out a bunch. I decided to go stand in the huge line for the bathrooms even though I didn't have to go very bad (ritual), but then I saw a girl I went to college with so I went to talk with her instead.

Considering how many people were there I thought I was fairly close to the starting line, but when we took off down the hill after the gun, I got held up behind a bunch of people and had to move to the outside to speed past them. Going downhill the first mile was pretty fun, I was moving pretty good! We evened out after that and I ran with pretty much the same group almost the whole race. After the downhill there was this little uphill part and this guy up ahead of me goes "woo-hoo a hill!". He sped up in his excitement, but must've been out of his league because shortly after that he slowed down a bunch and I passed him. I settled into a pretty good pace, I felt like I was pushing myself hard, but not to the point where I would expend all of my energy too quickly. I always forget this, but around mile 3 I was thinking, "man I'm kicking my ass and there's still more than half the race left". My hope before the race was to hit the 5 mile marker and start kicking it in from there, but when I passed it all I could think of was somehow surviving enough to keep my pace and still have enough to leg it out after the 6 miler marker. After the 5 mile marker 2 or 3 people came up slowly and passed me (must've been more seasoned racers that were better at pacing themselves and leaving enough for a strong finish). I knew the last 10k I did I ran the last .2 in about 1:10, so I glanced at my watch after I passed the 6 mile marker and knew I had to have an unbelievable kick to beat 41. I gave it all I had. I was pushing and lengthing my stride as best as I could, to the point where I could hardly sprint at the very end. Crossed the line at 41:16! Good for 90th place out of 2025, and 10th in my age group. I have all of my mile splits down below. I was disappointed that I didn't get my goal of breaking 41, but satisfied that I beat my old PR by 19 seconds.

After crossing the line and trying not to collapse while sucking some serious air, I heard the PA guy say that we should pronounce it "ah-dee-dahs" and not "uh-dee-duhs" since that's apparently how they pronounce it in Germany. I went by myself to the race so I just hung around and drank some electrolyte water and had a free Jamba Juice thing and got my free Widmer beer while people watching and stretching. After I got my beer I finally saw someone I knew so I went and sat with them while the guy ate his free food, and then we left.

mile 1 - 5:48
mile 2 - 6:43
mile 3 - 6:46
mile 4 - 6:56
mile 5 - 6:49
mile 6 - 6:58
last .2 - 1:14

4 comments:

  1. Great race Chris, that first mile was flying! Always satisfying to get a new PR. And you can't beat free beer and jamba juice post race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That time is almost the same pace as your 5k from four months ago, for twice as long. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice PR! Closing in on the sub 41...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Luke I didn't realize that, that's nuts. Thanks for pointing that out. Makes me wonder how fast I can be come next summer...

    ReplyDelete