Thursday, September 17, 2009

Luke - 7.5

7.5mi, 53:04 (7:04)

1.5mi warmup, 3.5 tempo, 2.5 cooldown.

Zack wanted to do a tempo so we headed to the Rexius trail, which is a pretty soft surface for a tempo run, but is a nice length, and has quarter-mile posts. Our first mile was 6:38, which was right about where Zack wanted to be (maybe slightly fast since the soft barkdust runs slow). I picked it up slightly to the halfway point and passed 1.75 miles in 11:45, which is a slightly slower pace (6:42) but a better effort since the last 3/4-mile of the first half is a bit uphill. At the halfway point I took off, and hit 91 seconds for the first quarter mile of it. I decided to try and keep up 6 flat pace the rest of the way, which would be a little more effort since that quarter-mile is a bit downhill. I didn't take splits every quarter, but I think my second half went something like 91, 89, 90, 90, 96, 87, 92. At .75mi to go the trail had been freshly re-barked and was crazy soft for about 100 meters, so it was impossible to keep up the pace. When I saw that it was 96 I knew I'd have to hit 87s for the next to to make my goal, but after the first 87 there was an earth-mover of some sort on the trail, so I had to cut through the grass onto the road, then back onto the trail a bit later....so I'm blaming my 5-second surplus on that.

Total splits for the tempo were 11:45 and 10:35 for a total of 22:20, or 6:22 pace. On the way back I did an extra (7:21) mile of cooldown. Oh and then as I was cutting across the soccer field a block from home, some kid laughed hysterically at (I can only assume) the length of my shorts, which made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment