Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chris - 3.1

Got a little bit of a late start this morning, but figured I was okay....until I hit traffic on 26 behind a crash. So as soon as I got into downtown Portland I found a place to park on the street (Park and Market) and ran toward the waterfront. Figured I could just use that as my warmup. I had about 10 minutes to use the bathroom, check in my extra clothes and get to the start line. Five guys I work with were running in the race too. I saw them way in the back of the race line and thought about going to say hey, but I had 3 minutes left and wanted to stretch and warm up a little more before I headed up to the front. It was pouring down rain early this morning, but we got lucky with the 5k. No rain and a little blue sky even!

I didn't have high hopes for this race considering I was sick and hardly ran the past 2 weeks. Also the shin/knee bruise I have hurts like hell when I flex my shin muscle, so I had a very slight limp the whole race. Here's a map of the race route. Not particularly flat. I started out okay, but didn't feel like I really hit my stride until a little over a mile in. They had this 5K sign for when we turned off of Naito, but it didn't say 1 MILE so I didn't hit my watch. Came through the 2nd mile marker @ 13:46. I knew I had absolutely no shot to break my 19:20 from RFTC, so I just did my best to stride out on the downhill portions and concentrate on catching as many of the 10k and half marathon people as I could before the finish. That was nice because usually I'm the one getting passed in the last mile, haha. Maybe I actually didn't start too fast this time! Passed mile 3 with a 6:26 split, then had to run uphill away from the waterfront to the finish. Came through with a final time of 20:53.

I stood around at the finish waiting for the guys I work with. One of my bosses quit smoking a month or so ago and this was his first race ever, and also longest mileage. I guess they all ran together and came through around 37 minutes. We all went and got some pizza and our extra clothes, had a beer or two and then headed out.

Side note - I obviously hadn't brought my wallet down to the race from my car, and they were checking freaking ID's and wouldn't let me go through the line to get a beer, so one of my buddies from work gave me his. I'm pretty sure they weren't checking them last year because I've never had my driver's license with me for a race. Anyway, that was dumb. Cheers for beer after a race though!

4 comments:

  1. Okay I'm confused...race results say I ran 19:58? http://results.racecenter.com/2010/res_h210.htm#alpha

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeh that's pretty dumb about the ids. usually your age is on your bib so they don't bother with ids. and don't worry you'll crush that time once you heal up and recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I had 20:53 on my watch. That's the time I'm going with. Just odd how their official time could be so far off what I had.

    ReplyDelete