Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Chris - 4.32

33:50 - 7:49 pace

Today's run went almost as good as I was hoping. I figured out that whatever is making my knee irritated is connected to the front of my hip. You know when you do a lunge to stretch out your hip flexor? Well when I do that (but straighten out my leg more than you normally would), it feels like something is going to tear out of the inside of my right knee. So I bet I aggrevated it when I was doing a slight downhill in the race, when I got taller than normal and really let my legs extend.

During this run I tried my best to keep my hip pulled in and my leg from extending too far back. New route today - ended up being pretty hilly! Total ascent of 300 ft or so. So I'm a little surprised my pace was under 8 minutes. I ran late, and came up to a short section of road with no sidewalk. There were a decent amount of cars, so I waited for them to pass and ran hard on the left side. Well a car turned onto the road toward me, so I crossed over to the right side hoping that I could reach the end before a car came up behind me. Sure enough one came around the corner and I had to bail out into the ditch to avoid getting creamed. Very exciting. Iced the knee right after I got home, and I've been taking Aleve morning and night. It definitely feels better than it did this past weekend, so I'm hoping the trend continues till Sunday and won't bother me during the race...

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention - I tried the nose breathing intermittently throughout the run. I kept forgetting once I got into a rhythm. It felt kinda nice, but definitely weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you wrote "very exciting" made me think of some awful english stereotype. Perhaps a rich one who is too drunk all the time to realise how close he comes to death.

    "A car. In the road! Jolly exciting. Almost smashed my body into two pieces. Spiffing. Yes we must do it again. Pass the $500 caviar won't you?"

    ReplyDelete