Friday, August 7, 2009

Luke - 9.5

9.5mi, 73:44 (7:45)

Once again, I am totally guessing on the mileage. I went to my usual trails, but the connector path between the first and second trails is now under construction, so I couldn't get to the second trail. So then I ran barefoot on the grass around/on a softball field, 5 loops for 9½ minutes. Then I went to this cemetery that has trails and is pretty hilly, and I ran in there for a bit, and they have signs next to a lot of the graves talking about the person who is buried there, so I read one. It was Pliny something-or-other, maybe Pliny Snodgrass, and he was a banker. Moved to Eugene from his farm when he was 15 to go to the University of Oregon, then got a job as a janitor at the bank (one of his jobs was to milk the bank president's cow), and then was promoted to assistant teller, then teller, then vice president, then when the president died he became the new president. And then he died. The sign concluded by saying that while he was president they built him a house at 2691 Fairmount...so I figured I would go check it out. It was a fairly nice house. Good location, nice landscaping. After that I ran to a park and did another 8 minutes of barefoot grass running, and then went home.
Oh also I breathed through my nose for pretty much the whole run. I got used to it pretty quickly, and it actually felt pretty nice. Maybe I'll keep doing it.

1 comment:

  1. Here is the Google Streetview of the former home of Pliny Snodgrass: http://tinyurl.com/plinysnodgrass

    ReplyDelete