Thursday, August 6, 2009

Luke - 10

10mi, 79:13 (7:55)

Today's high was 70º. Seventy degrees! It was 106 last week, this is so nice.
For once, I don't really know how far I actually went. I know my last 1.5 miles were 7:30 pace, and there was a .8mi section that I know was at 7:50 pace, but other than that I just guessed. I was planning on going the sort-of-long way to Pre's Trail and then doing some 1.4- and 1.6-mile loops on bark, but on my way there a new trail presented itself so I had to check it out. It was all soft dirt with some fun little hills and stuff. As I started, there were people about every 100 meters, sitting in groups of 2 on the side of the trail. As I passed about the 4th or 5th group, they said to me, "You're the first runner," or maybe, "You're the first runner ever." I was wondering if there was like a race or something that they thought I was part of, so I stopped and asked "Of what?" and they said "Of this trail!" Apparently they had just that day dug it out. I was pretty happy until they said that they were putting gravel on it next week. They are putting gravel on all the trails here, it sucks.
Anyway I explored the trail a bit, it was about 12 minutes out and back so less than a mile of trail. I would use it to get to the set of trails that includes The Wall if they weren't planning on paving the damn thing.
That was actually one of three places on this run that improvements were going on. After I got out of the trail, they were finishing up repaving the road I was on. It used to have a ton of potholes and was not so great for running so I am glad they did that. After that I hopped a traffic barrier and some railroad tracks and they were doing something to some bridge. Where they were working was right next to where I was going so it didn't really affect me though.
At the end of my run I did a little over 9 minutes of barefoot running on grass. It felt really nice, I'll probably start doing that a bunch.

4 comments:

  1. now that you're doing the BF running, are you going to work on nose breathing(if you haven't already that is)?...sucks about the trails getting ruined.

    on a similar note, remember that park near my house that was leveled a few months ago? well nothing has changed there in so long. it's just a huge mound of dirt. what a waste. so they made it like 1/3 of the way through on the project and then stopped. might have something to do with california being bankrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done a little bit of nose breathing. We'll see if I continue with it.

    If the mound of dirt is big enough, you could do hill repeats on it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh its more like a huge field with dirt equally distributed because of all the poison to kill the gophers. i actually want to start running some hills in the next few weeks. there are some streets like 4 miles away that i'm going to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something I read about california's economy the other day (I'd recommened reading it all, but I'm referring to the 4th paragraph): http://community.livejournal.com/peakoil_prep/126203.html

    Enjoy that trail this one week only, I guess Luke.

    ReplyDelete