Monday, August 3, 2009

Steve - 4.9

4.9 miles in 47:51. Nice, easy cruise around the neighborhood on grass medians and the streets. First official day of my half marathon training program. I haven't laid anything out, but I have a rough sketch in my mind. Luke sent me an article yesterday which talked about 5 problems with the way runners are coached/trained in the U.S.

http://www.tullyrunners.com/Articles/RaucciArticle.htm

One of them is the way we breathe while exercising. The author talked about how the mouth isn't meant to be used for breathing and how we should teach ourselves to breathe out of our noses while running. We actually take in too much air when we breathe through our mouths.

Well, I tried it today on this run. I kept my mouth shut for the first mile or so and breathed only through my nose. It gets tough after a while, even at an easy pace. I had tried this before several months back when I was running in cold (by L.A. standards) weather, because I read that when breathing the nose helped reduce the possibility of developing asthma or pneumonia while running in cold weather. I live right near the airport in L.A. so I'm pretty much breathing in jet fuel every breath.

Anyway, after awhile I had to breathe through my mouth some cuz I just wasn't getting enough air. I'm going to try to slowly incorporate this breathing on my easy runs.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article! I didn't read it all but a decent scanning. I like the Nike-bashing and anti-processed food stuff, but also the argument against "the notion that only through stress can we begin to attain high performance levels." I believe this generally but never thought to apply it to running. How do I run without pain, in harmony?

    ReplyDelete