Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Chris - 3.47

26:15 - 7:33 pace

I took my short out & back to test out how my knee/hip was feeling, and decided if I was feeling good by the turn-around point I would take a right to tackle the Beaverton version of Luke's Wall. It climbs about 500 ft in a half a mile or something ridiculous like that. Unfortunately at about 11 mins my knee suddenly tightened up and started hurting. POS. So I spent the rest of the run trying different strides lengths and gaits to see if it would alleviate any of the pain. I really should get out my old physical therapy notes and start doing free standing squats and stuff to strengthen up that hip muscle more. I'm going to take a few days off (against my will), so I can concentrate on rehabbing it and giving it some rest.

Oh in other news, I know I was talking before about potentially getting a new job/promotion at my work. Well this week the hiring manager had me meet with the credit manager and company president/COO to get their opinions on me. I ended up talking to the president for like an hour, that was pretty neat. I even remembered to mention I had a marketing concentration and it sounded like he might take me up on some help with projects in the future! So things are looking up so far, just waiting to hear back from the hiring manager again...

3 comments:

  1. let me know if you find some good exercises to do for your knee/hip.

    i try to do wall sits with a basketball between my knees and another i dont know the name of (straight leg raise?) where I lay on my back with one leg straight out on the ground. you lift the other leg about a 18 inches and hold it up straight for 10 seconds. 10 reps. it's supposed to make that muscle right above the knee stronger. it also engages the hip some too. the muscle it works is the VMO, which is critical I believe for knee stability. anyway, hope this useful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ones I usually do are squats with my injured leg's foot closer to my body, to help target that leg more. I also lie on the ground on my side with the right knee out and left leg straight. You lift the top leg up from the ground, and twist your foot toward the ceiling. I also do reps of flexing my hammy while in a sitting position. When I do this I can really feel the weak/tight tendon in my knee. I'll have to try yours too, hope mine help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeh I just remembered another good one for hammy. You need a second person to do it though. Get in a kneeling position. with your back straight. Have someone hold your feet down as you slowly fall forward toward the ground, contracting your hamstring. This one is really good. Fall as slowly as you can and then catch yourself on the ground with your hands. I will give yours a shot as well..

    ReplyDelete