Saturday, November 28, 2009

James - 5.7

52:26

My last run of the week, month and year - possibly (see my previous entry for the explanation). I didn't feel much like running but thought I had better make it a comparable biggie. And it was SUITABLY unique.

First someone on a motorbike passed me three times, which is something I've never seen down the narrow muddy paths of the canal.

Next I passed a load of canal boats covered in Christmas lights, which was very nice, but I had to pass the correspondng crowds who were looking at them. Later I saw an unlit Snowman decoration peeking out from behind a bush, which is creepy when there's no other lights around.

After hitting my turnaround point I was running under a bridge and saw a cucumber in a small section of ground lit up by the streetlights above. I picked it up. I hate when things are pointlessly shrinkwrapped but in this case it meant it was good eating. I should eat more green vegetables anyway. Note: I later dropped it in a puddle whilst avoiding a dog. Picked it up again.

Fourthly I had to actually stop and walk to the nearest pub (so this wasn't one complete run, which disappoints me) due to the Running Shit Demons getting the better of me. Yes, it was a horrible feeling. And yes, I do mean it was as bad as you're thinking.

All this avoiding and running was made harder by the fact that it was so dark after a while that I couldn't even see the puddles and mud that I was failing to avoid. December here is certainly not the worst month of the year to have a break. So healthwise, not the best run ever. But for story value, it was great! So you know I'm not giving up on running for good. This has been my best year for running ever and I want to thank you all for keeping me inspired. New shoes and scorching heat runs from now on!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you on your journey across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember, if you get the urge, it's okay to run before you get to Florida.

    Sorry about your having to stop. I know how much that sucks.

    Hope you enjoyed your puddle-cuke.

    Three weeks until Florida! I bet the first thing you're gonna do when you get there is go for a run (this is a joke).

    ReplyDelete