Sunday, November 22, 2009

Steve - 9.6

For once I thought I had arrived to a race early. I was there 45 minutes early, which is like a miracle for me. The site said the 5k started at 7:30. But it was kind of weird because they had a "Team 5k" at 7 and the "Individual 5k" at 7:30. This is what it said when I did the online registration. But also on the site it says all divisions start at 7 am. So my friend and I who signed up both thought it started at 7:30. When I was checking in, no one at the race knew what was going on. Some people thought another 5k went off at 7:30 and others didn't. Well I had to make a pit stop, and figured I would run at 7:30. Turns out the 10k started at 7:30. I finally was able to find someone who knew what was going on. He just told me to run the 10k and that the 5k went off at 7. This race was some little rinky dink race for a bunch of accountants. The name was the Power by Numbers 10k/5k. How clever.

Anyways, once I got over not being able to run the 5k, I had to mentally prepare myself for the 10k. I knew it was going to be tough because I haven't been doing much mileage. Most of my runs are right around 6 miles, so I knew I wasn't in optimal shape. Plus I did a 7-miler yesterday. I figured that wouldn't affect me for a 5k. There was like 80 people in the 10k and I didn't really have anyone to run with. I passed a bunch of people after the first mile and then reeled in a few others over the course of the race. Ended up with a decent time of 41:56, which is a PR for me because I have only run a few 10ks. I really don't know how to run a 10k because I wasn't really that tired at the end. My legs were a bit sore because of all the mileage, but I think I left a lot on the course. The splits were all over the place, but I think that was more because the course was messed up. When it's all said and done, I logged a bunch of miles and I got a PR. Could have been much worse...(Damn you Zach and your Ohio State Buckeyes)

6:40, 6:54, 6:22, 7:17, 6:44, 7:08, 51

1.7 wup 17:54
10k 41:56 (6:45)
1.7 cd 14:44

3 comments:

  1. Well way to PR anyway. Sucks when race management is incompetent (yes, this is a reference to your former boss).

    Reminds me of my first 10k ever. It was in Baltimore, where I was visiting my uncle for Thanksgiving. (Steve, you may remember the story I once told you about missing my train to Baltimore and the related follies...this was the same trip.) The start was on a street bordering a one-block-square park, so everyone was warming up and hanging out in the park before the start. The race was supposed to start at 8am, and my uncle and I had gotten there at least 45 minutes early. As we were standing around in the park with hundreds of other people at about 7:40-7:45, we hear a gun go off, and we look over at the start and it looks like a bunch of people are running. We sort of make our way over to the start, and lots of people are asking if that was the race gun, and some people are saying it was for a different race, like a half marathon or something, and some people just don't really care since they're walking. As everyone gets to the start line they start going, so my uncle and I also just go, very confusedly. My first mile was about ten minutes because of starting "late" and having to weave through the walkers, and I think I ended up running 46:xx.

    I got the impression that whoever was in charge just sort of decided that enough people were at the start line that the race should just start. It amazes me that people can misunderstand something so thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never get enough of the stories from your misadventures in trying to get to Baltimore. Can you post your remembrance of them somewhere?

    Also, everyone should post if they are doing a Turkey Trot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I was there 45 minutes early, which is like a miracle for me." - This was my favorite part, haha! That sucks that you were on the ball and didn't get rewarded for it! But at least you got the PR, like ya said. And don't worry too much about the Buckeyes, I'm sure the Ducks will stick it to 'em in the Rose Bowl ;)

    ReplyDelete