Sunday, July 5, 2009

Jonathan - 6

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jonathan Robertsin. I met Steve recently and he told me all about this blog. He suggested I join the group, even though I am not even close to him when it comes to running talent. I don't run that much, but what the hell. I ran a race on the 4th of July, so I might as well share it with the world, or at least the 5 others who read this blog. Actually, I was hoping to run the race with Steve, but he's training for a big race in 2 weeks. He wants to save his best effort for that race. I even suggested he run the race at a tempo effort, but he refused. Quite devoted is this fellow. Anyway, the race was a 5K in Huntington Beach(aka Surf City). A late start at 8 am promised some high temperatures, but I was undaunted. There was a locals only race at 7 am. For some reason they wanted to separate Huntingon Beach residents from everyone else. This would later bother me more after the race when I noticed all the bananas and oranges had been consumed by the locals and nothing was left for the Surf City invaders.

My objective was to run evenly throughout the race. Steve, who was the race to watch his wife run, told me before the race that to achieve my best possible time, each of my mile times should be within 5% of another. I took this advice to heart and followed it splendidly. My time was 21:44. I went 7:04 for the first, 7:05 for the second, and 7:35 for the final 1.1, which is 6:53 mile pace. I felt pretty good after the race. Steve congratulated me after the race on my fine time, although I heard him telling his wife that he could have done a tempo run at that pace. What an arrogant ass! Despite not participating in the race, Steve seemed pretty happy because his wife ran 24:39, a PR by over a minute.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog Jonathan. Sounds like the race was pretty fun! That sucks all the food was gone when you got done though.

    ReplyDelete