Friday, July 10, 2009

Steve - 4.3

I headed to the track of champions (at USC) again today for a 1600 time trial. I had visions of running a 5:30-5:40 mile coming into it. Admittedly a bit ambitious for a time trial. Regardless, I wanted to run a smooth, even (or slightly negative effort) without pushing myself too much. Well here's what I came out with: 5:59:00 on the nose. 1:28.98, 1:30.31, 1:30.73, 1:28.98. It's really crazy that my first and last lap were exactly the same time. I included extra sig figs to illustrate the point. I think this trial is a really good sign because I still felt good when I crossed the line. I think I could have trimmed 15-20 seconds with a hard effort, perhaps more. Now the question is this: Can I run this fast for 5000 meters. I will have that answer in 8 days. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a pretty good workout! You're definitely WAY better than me on pacing your laps haha.

    I'm pretty sure the track of champions is called Hayward Field, since our track team won like every team championship this year. They should call the track at USC the track of semi-champions whose athletes accept illicit funds while attending =P Although it was football and basketball players and not track athletes...

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3390757&sportCat=ncb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I bet you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that of course is true. Hayward Field is the track of college champions. Certainly more olympic champions (or medalists, anyway) on the track have come through USC recently.

    Thanks for the support Alison! Hoping for big things next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well that's cool. Yeah I hope you didn't take the wrong way, I just couldn't resist a little Pac-10 rivalry dig at ya =P. This corporate event you're doing sounds like it's going to be really fun, I'm jealous! I'd be really pumped too. I'm sure you'll kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeh no worries man. I was just being a contrarian. I actually dont really like USC either. I went to a tiny D3 school, but I inherited being a Michigan fan from my parents because they both went there.

    As for the corporate event, yeh it's pretty awesome. You should get your company to join up. Its for the USCAA. They have different divisions for each company size.

    ReplyDelete