Saturday, August 27, 2011

James - 3.35

~35:00

Wow/ow.

I wanted to run 4 miles. That would have been a new distance record and it would have given me a new weekly record (by 0.05miles). I calculated that I'd have to run around the apartment complex 7 and a bit times, which seemed daunting. I decided to stop after 6 and be humble.

After showering, and whilst trying to eat, I got weird twisty backpains. Within an hour I was dead asleep, for 11 hours. I'd been a bit behind on my sleep, but that was not the expected reaction. I didn't even make my update or brush my teeth and I'm normally pretty religious about that.

Edit: I don't know if it had anything to do with it (I doubt it) but we tried these new energy supplements. Before the run I had New Whey liquid protein (maybe I should have had it immediately before going instead of half an hours?). After I had Muscle Milk Light (strangely, vegan) and we also got all these CVS protein drinks that we're going to try every day.

3 comments:

  1. Nice run but be careful!

    As for the energy supplements, try some AFTER you run. In my experience, it takes a lot of practice to be able to eat heartier foods (and protein) prior to a tough effort. Stick with blander foods: oatmeal, toast, fruits, cereal, quinoa/brown rice and veggies, or maybe even eggs. Are you a vegan? I am certainly not but enjoy a plant based diet for the most part with a only a modest amount of dairy and meat.

    My new favorite energy drink lately (vegan too) is:
    1.5 cups apple juice.
    1 banana
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp flax seeds
    1 tbsp cacao nibs
    1-2 large leafs kale (no stems)
    1 tbsp coconut oil (for good fats/extra calories).

    I think protein powders can work well too, but I have just went the cheaper route with recovery from foods instead of the powders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice I do a similar one. One apple, one orange, one banana, mix of frozen berries, frozen mango, frozen, pineapple, and chia seeds. I tried it with a celery stalk yesterday with surprising results. Might have to try some kale too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks Zack! I'll try something like that recipe sometime (you're obviously a better shopper than me, I'd find it hard to have all those things on hand at once). And yes I am vegan (though I don't mind trace amounts of dairy here and there). And Alison is largely vegan.

    Oh and we lost a blender about a year ago to breakage, so that would need rectifying too.

    ReplyDelete