Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Luke - 13.6

13.6mi, 1:50:07 (8:05)
A very good butte run. Took my camera along and took a picture at each place I take a split. Follow along now as I take you on my daily August run.
(I'll post a picture for each "checkpoint" (click a picture to see it full-sized), and link to the extra pictures I took.)

I start at 20th and Hilyard, heading East. A couple minutes in I cross the South Eugene High School track, and I can see Spencer's Butte looming in the background.

The first checkpoint is the start of the Rexius trail.

The next checkpoint is when the hills start: Fox Hollow starts when I step onto this bridge...

...and ends when I pass this black post. This is the Fox Hollow parking lot; from here I'll cross Fox Hollow Road and head up some more.

This is the post that I call "The" post; it's the turnoff for the butte. (Going straight would lead to Willamette Street.)

This post I've started calling "the T"...it's a clearing where the short route up the butte, from Willamette, meets the long route (my route), from Ridgeline.

This is the point where I used to stop my watch and hike the rest of the way. From here I make a hairpin turn to the right and it's a half-run, half-hike struggle to the top.

And here's the top! I go around the backside of the boulder on top and finish at the rock you can just see on the right side of the trail. If the triangular slab on top of the boulders is vacant, I climb on up and get the 360ยบ view for a few seconds, otherwise I just walk around a bit while I'm having my gel. Here are a few pictures I took at the top (I was going to take a video but completely forgot until I was 4-5 minutes down the hill...I didn't feel like heading back up...): 1 2 3 4 5 6

This is a view of that same checkpoint, but from the opposite direction since I'm about to head down. (The rock is that one on the left, just in the grass.)

The bottom of the rocks from the opposite viewpoint.

The view from the "T", heading into the forest.

The Post--from here I'll take a right. (I took an extra picture because I wasn't sure the first turned out, and I took a picture from the view of someone coming from Willamette Street.)

Now I'm back at Fox Hollow, about to head down.

Finally out of the woods. It's flat from here on out, and best of all, there's water! A lady that lives at the bottom of the trail puts out a cooler with gallon jugs of water, cups, and a bowl for dogs. Here's a picture of it!

The last quarter-mile post of Rexius. From here I cross the street (this is the only street-crossing on the entire run where I have to wait at all) and get on the trail kitty-corner to Rexius. That trail takes me to the Amazon trail, which takes me...

...home! Back on good old Hilyard Street; from here I walk the half-block to the house and get some water, chocolate milk, and beer.

Oh and since I know you're keeping track at home, I did three (3) pull-ups today, and my splits were: 12:12, 15:15, 9:08, 7:11, 8:01, 3:37, 3:12 (58:38) / 3:26, 2:40, 6:13, 6:06, 7:57, 14:06, 10:58.

4 comments:

  1. That is one amazing view on top the butte that you get to see everyday! And I think it's nuts you're running that far every day, but impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to comment on this sooner. I recognize some of the sites! Hah, man this is pretty crazy. You're logging some serious miles this summer. Summer of Malmo?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luke - I also meant to comment on this earlier but I saw it just before we went to Crestview for a week. Great idea! Amazing views! I looked at all the extras. Great greenery.

    And as for the nice woman who puts out free drinks for everyone... I'm jealous to say the least!

    ReplyDelete