Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Alex - 2.38

17:12 (7:12)

Today was a street run, and I didn't feel good or run well, but it was a good run. Yesterday, a few hours after my run I was playing with my friend's kid (for Luke, I'm talking about Malachi) and my surgically repaired knee locked up and me and then had a big pop. It felt like the bones popped out of the joint and then popped back in. It's happened to me a couple of times before, but normally when I'm in a pool and never this bad. The knee continued to bother me all night and was still hurting this morning. I had full range of motion, but it felt a little creaky and I was nervous about running.

When I first hurt my knee I was 16 and for a long time they didn't think I'd ever run again. Rehab included 3 months in a straight leg cast with no weight on my leg, followed by 6 months of rehab to regain some strength, the leg was incredibly atrophied, and range of motion. Then I began to jog lightly a few times a week for another 3 months, and a year after the surgery I began to run again. All said and done it was at least two years before the knee felt normal again.

To say the least, taking up running last year was not the best advised decision I've ever made, but I have actually found that it has helped the overall health of my knee and leg much more than it has hurt it and I rarely have pain. This is an incredibly long way of saying that today was a little bit scary. I did not feel great on the run, but as the run went on my confidence increased and I think that with in a few days I could be back to normal. It was however, a reminder that for someone who was once told they'd never run again and potentially would need a knee replacement before they graduated high school, I need to continue to be modest with my running goals and make sure that I stay healthy so that I can continue to run for a long time.

Back on the road tomorrow,
Alex

2 comments: