Friday, October 2, 2009

Alex - 3.03

3.03 mi, 20:41 (6:49)

I time my runs using Nike+, which is a great tool, but sometimes varies one or two tenths of a mile from day to day. Today's run was a morning run from my house (near Oakway Golf Course) to Sheldon High School, with a loop around the track and back home. It's mostly sidewalk and some street running, but I felt really strong throughout the run and had I not stopped to talk to a neighbor while forgetting to pause my Nike+ my pace & time probably would have reflected. Since I see some periphery notes and non sequiturs on others' posts I'll add that I wear Nike Lunar Glides and today I listened to John Mayer on my iPod while I ran. I also narrowly missed stepping in dog poop, twice.

4 comments:

  1. Are you a golfer? I always thought it'd be nice to live right next to a golf course (since I am). I think Steve uses Nike+ also, and was saying it varies because it depends on your stride, which isn't always perfect obviously. How do you like the Lunar Glides? I'm kind of a shoe nut. Also I'd go ahead and not mention that you were listening to music while running...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeh i think it all depends on the pace you calibrated it at. the closer to that pace you run, the more accurate. if you haven't calibrated, i would recommend it doing a mile on the track around the pace you usually do your runs in..

    ReplyDelete
  3. at first i thought chris said not to mention you were listening to music while running because he didn't like the choice of john mayer. which seemed to leave the door open for a joke along the lines of stepping in dog shit is the punishment for listening to john mayer while running...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I knew that mentioning listening to John Mayer was leaving me wide open for jokes. But so what? I like it! I didn't even think about the fact that many people frown on listening to music at all while running. Guilty on both counts.

    I've thought about calibrating it, but I think I'm just too lazy. At some point I might consider it, a tenth of a mile here or there doesn't bother me too much.

    Finally, sorry for saying Lunar Glides, my mistake. I actually found those to be very uncomfortable when I tried them on in the store. I'm wearing the Lunar Trainers, and I love them. It's my second pair. Unfortunately the shoe has been discontinued, but it can still be found in some colors/sizes and can be ordered on NikeID. There have been some new shoes announced in the Lunar line

    http://theshoegame.com/articles/nike-lunar-runners-for-spring-2010.html

    and

    http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/4342812515

    Oh, and yes, I'm a golfer. And I walk to Oakway all the time.

    ReplyDelete