Monday, June 29, 2009

James - 4.6

37:17

Pretty pleased with the distance. Sweaty and hot. Spat on a 4x4 which was parked partially on the road and STILL covered most of the pavement. The other night I put two traffic cones at either end of a 4x4 and left a post-it note suggesting 2009 might be the year to change from a car that burns so much money, atmosphere and precious oil. All friendly-like. ("PS. Native Americans still exist. Please don't use them to jazz up your humdrum life. Thanks." - spare tyre cover had a cliché Native American on it, car was probably called a Cherokee or something.)

I think I'm running out of running stories.

5 comments:

  1. "I think I'm running out of running stories."

    badum chhh

    haha. good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that reminded me. when i was eugene luke told me about billy mills, a native american runner from the 60s. here is a youtube clip about a crazy 10,000 meter finish he was a part of.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5vOhMwRQwI

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOK AT MILLS! LOOK AT MILLS!

    I still get chills every time I hear that call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly connected video Steve! Wow that was a cool story. I got a bit of a chill when he ran past them too.

    I'm reading a book at the moment that Alison lent me called The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie. It's really good. Today I read a chapter where the teenage protaganist is lamenting that, on his high school basketball team, he isn't compared to any old-time athletes like his teammates are, he thinks because there aren't many Native American ones in sporting history. Needs to learn about this runner obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Thorpe, too.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

    ReplyDelete