Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Alison - 2

Distance: 2 miles; Time: 19 mins; Locale: Treadmill of Death*

I am back from a 5-day hiatus or so because I ended up taking a lot of days off for my birthday, unlike Luke/Benito who runs more on his. Saturday we did hiking and other naturey activities on Caladesi Island near Dunedin (near Clearwater) and that was neat and I did jog on the Osprey Trail, where we did in fact see osprey (and snakes, rabbits, eagles and gopher tortoises).

I meant to start back yesterday but a monsoon of epic proportions made going outside even to get to my car completely unfeasible and scary. Lots of wind and thunder/lightning for hours and hours, but this area has had severe drought for the last few years or so, thus we really needed the rain. I think hurricane season starts earlier every year.

So how do y'all combat the running malaise you feel after a hiatus?

*(My treadmill abruptly shut off during my run like in the movies)

5 comments:

  1. So how do y'all combat the running malaise you feel after a hiatus?

    Run more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But how do you make yourself want to run more? I feel like crawling into bed with Cadbury eggs (don't worry, I don't have any) and my steampunk novel and my cat, not running more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much you gotta just go do it. Try not thinking at all and getting ready to go and going...that's worked for me a few times. Also a common tactic is to tell yourself you're just gonna put on your running clothes, but that's it...then when they're on tell yourself you're just gonna put on your shoes, but then you're done...then when they're on tell yourself you're just gonna walk to the corner, then turn around and come home...then when you're there tell yourself you're just gonna run a block and then you can stop and go home...by that point you should be able to actually go for a run.
    It requires a bit of doublethink sometimes, but sometimes that's what's necessary.
    Also try to remember a great run you had, or watch an inspiring race on YouTube (I don't know if this works for anyone else).
    One of the best ways to get motivated is to register for a race. Don't just pick a race and say you'll do it; you usually actually have to pay for it for this to work. If you've already spent the money, you're more likely to train more often.
    Lastly, I've heard you're more likely to do something again if you eat after you do it. So if you can eat after your run, you should (in theory) be more motivated next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me I always think about my disappointments in past races. At a race last year, some guy assumed I had ran a 17:30 5K based on my build. I'm a tall, skinny guy that has the look of a fast 5Ker apparently. Anyway, I ran a 20:36(my PR). 20:36 is like jogging for a guy that can 17:30(Ask Luke). I felt like an idiot. For the race I had trained pretty hard for about 6 weeks leading up to the event. I always tell myself that I can achieve so much more if I maintain that same effort for a much longer period of time. Only way that will happen is if I get my ass out the door at least 4-5 times a week and put the mileage in. I have some other glorious failures running on my college track team after switching from tennis that stick out as well. If you have any similar experiences like me, just think of how you felt during those moments. That should get you out the door.

    ReplyDelete