Friday, April 3, 2009

Steve - 3

With the recent death of Luke's Nike Frees, it was only appropriate that I went on my first run in my brand new pair of Nike Frees. I decided to run on the mill so I dont make them too dirty in case I need to return them. They actually felt really good and I didnt have any discomfort. They are so light it really feels like I am not even wearing shoes. The stupid directions say I am supposed to wear them around the house for two weeks before even trying to run in them, but who the hell has time for that? I started out real slow to see if I was going to suffer any crippling injury, but I gradually brought the pace up to 8min/mile pace by the end which is moderate intensity for me. Finished up with 3 miles in 26 min. (8:40). I have a 5K on sunday but will most likely run in my clunky trainers and work the frees into another short workout next week. Sub 21 or bust!

4 comments:

  1. Are Nike Frees awesome Nikes or those shoes that are made for the Nike Plus software?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh nike frees are really lightweight shoes that are very flexible. they're supposed to simulate barefoot running, which is supposed to be eventually lead to less injuries because it is the more "natural" way of running. for nike plus you can actually use any brand of shoe. you just need to buy a little pouch for like 3 bucks to hold the chip in your shoelaces. some nikes come with a detachable thing in the shoe to hold the chip, but it's not worth buying the shoes just for that. nike frees dont have that capability cuz there really isnt anything there(they weigh about 6 to 9 oz depending on which model you get), but you could put the pouch on the laces...ok so thats my incredibly long answer. hope it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does make sense, thanks! I have the Nike Plus thing but I did not know you could buy a pouch. Instead I carved out a niche in my Brooks.

    I don't really like the Nike Plus thing anyway; I've been meaning to mail it to Luke for his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh nice. this is the pouch i use if change your mind:

    http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sportsuit-Sensor-Sport-Black/dp/B000ID6DTG/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239053527&sr=8-2

    the thing with nike plus that kind of sucks is its only really accurate when you run the same pace that you calibrated it at. when I run slower, it records too much distance(cuz my strides are shorter) and when I run faster, the distance is too short. other than being off a little, i enjoy it because i can just start running anywhere and have a good idea of mileage, pace, etc.

    ReplyDelete