Thursday, April 16, 2009

Luke - 9.5

2.5w/u, 2x5x400, 200/400r, 3.25 c/d.
67, 73, 75, 76, 76 / 78, 77, 74, 75, 79.
There was a meet going on at the track I was going to use, so I had to do these on the bark instead.  As I was getting to the trail, Galen Rupp was rounding the corner at a good pace and Alberto Salazar was behind him on a bike.  As they passed me I heard Alberto tell Galen "4:37" (the loop is one mile).  As I was finishing up my warmup, they finished and I overheard them talking about his workout; as far as I could tell it was a 5-mile time trial, because I heard Alberto say it was a 23:20 8k.  Blazing!  Galen had a full beard starting, and the two were joking that he shouldn't shave now, because the beard is doing him well.  Galen started his cooldown just before I started my workout, so I was able to pass him, which of course means I'm faster than him.  I think I might have been trying too hard, since I dropped way off after that first one.
As I was finishing up my cooldown, my roommate's brother passed me going the opposite direction, so I turned around and ran with him for a mile.  He was going faster than my cooldown and I hadn't planned on doing an extra mile, but I think going a bit faster (~7:15 pace) and a bit longer was good for me.

2 comments:

  1. haha thats awesome you passed him. how fast was he going on his cooldown? what happened on that last 400?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure his cooldown was well under 7-minute pace, but probably not quite under 6.

    Yeah I was all over the place, definitely didn't feel fresh by the end.

    ReplyDelete