Saturday, April 25, 2009

Steve - 7.91

Talked with Luke earlier in the week and he told me I need to do my tempo runs every week so I did one today. Went out the grass median in Brentwood where all the West L.A. residents like to get in their running. Since I am training for a 5K right now, I thought it would be a good idea to move my tempo distance up to 4 miles. Based on some times I inputted on McMillan's Running Calculator, I chose 7:15 as my goal time. Wearing my Nike Frees I felt like I could achieve this time without burning myself out. (sidenote: Has anyone seen those stupid commercials on TV for Nike Frees where some instructor is talking about the new version of the shoe and they are sitting their naked? Not funny. Another one with Kara and Adam Goucher (last 20 seconds of the link). Also Not funny. The stuff they can't show on TV is kind of funny, though) OK, so back to the workout. It went exactly as planned. I had to rely on MapMyRun again for distance, but I came in at 4.21 miles in 30:08 (7:09). Just what I needed. Wasn't too tired at the end. It was a hard effort, but it didnt kill me. Add in the 3.7 miles in 32:46 of warmup and cooldown and that puts me up to 62:54 (7:51). My first 30 mile week in 3 years!

5 comments:

  1. Nice! Probably your best run of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a pretty good run! How fast do you run the warmup and cooldowns? My cooldown usually just consists of me walking a small loop around my complex with my hands on my head so I can get my breath back. As for that video, I thought it had a few funny parts. I laughed when the guy stood up and asked if they came in size 15's. But then again I'm pretty easily entertained...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, you should do an actual cooldown whenever you do fast stuff. At least a mile, at an easy pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warmup for me is usually about 9:30-10:00 minute/mile pace, progressing up to 8:30 pace or so for the final 400 meters or so. Same for cooldown. Luke's totally right. I used to hate cooldown especially but after a while you realize it can really help you. If you start out real slow and then build up at the end, you'll actually feel pretty good.

    As for the video, I agree. There are a few funny parts. The crap that they actually use on the commercials on TV is bad though, especially the Adam Goucher and Kara Goucher thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the video link, I suppose they were okay for advert comedy. However, if I may slip into my now familiar anti-corporate mode, I would like to hear what "natural" materials and construction methods go into the manufacturing of Nike shoes/products.

    Oh and the banned one with the English police and security guards looking stupid was much better.

    ReplyDelete