Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Steve - 7.25

Another interval workout with the Flyers at Caltech. It was a bit cold in L.A. today and by the time the workout got going the sun was setting and the temperature dropped quickly. This made the workout a lot harder. I ended up running some good times, but it required more effort. I was laboring a bit on the last two sets. Thankfully, I had someone to alternate running in the front with for most of the workout. It's tough running in the front with the wind whipping at your face. He was doing more of the work, but I at least made myself lead for one of the three laps each time and it kept me motivated.

Here's the workout:

4x1200, 400r. We were supposed to run the first 400 at 5k race pace(, second at mile pace, and third at 5k race pace. My goal time for this weekend's 5k is 20:30, which is 6:36 per mile(1:39 per 400). My mile time is 6:09(or 1:32:25 per 400).

4:52(1:39, 1:37, 1:36) 6:29 mile pace
5:01(1:45, 1:36, 1:40) 6:41
4:52 (1:36, 1:38, 138) 6:29
4:47 (1:37, 1:37, 1:33) 6:22

So I was ahead of my 5k race pace for every single 400 and each interval for the 1200 except the second set. After the first set I pretty much gave up on running the second interval at mile pace. I just couldn't do it. I decided instead to try maintain even or negative splits. So I think I'll be a bit sore tomorrow because it was a tough workout and it was cold, but I think I got a good sense for the pace I need to run.

I am pysched to try and get a new PR(old one is 20:36) this weekend or at least come close to it. I think I am in good enough shape to do it. I'll just out there and see what happens. No need to put pressure on myself. Also looking forward to getting a massage on Satuday...

4.25 miles of warmup, recovery, and cooldown

2 comments:

  1. That is certainly very fast! I bet you can get a PR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeh im feeling it today too. This is probably the first interval workout I overdid it. I pushed too much I think. I was pretty tired at the end. It wasn't like I was dead, but I felt it a lot more than the previous ones.

    ReplyDelete